Is IMDb Fair?


How do you decide whether to watch a particular movie or not? Do you judge the movie by its IMDb rating? I am sure most of you do this. I too used to do this for all the movies before I watched them, until I realized that I was very wrong. Let me tell you why I think so.



Now, the IMDb rating that you see for every movie, is the average of what thousands, lakhs or even millions of people have rated it. Critics do not play any role in the IMDb ratings that you use as a meter to judge movies.


As you can see above, I have taken an example of the movie Mockingjay Part 2.  38869 users' reviews are averaged to make a 7.1/10 rating. You too, can vote your opinion there!

Choice differs from person to person. Some person would love a 9 rated movie, while someone would detest it!  It all depends on your taste of movies.

For example, MARVEL has a huge fan following worldwide. As for me, I am not a great fan of MAVEL. So the crazy 8.7 rating of the “Infinity War” baffles me. If you want to relate to me, look at these ratings:
         IMDb ratings as on 11th Aug 2018:
          Infinity War: 8.7/10
         The Pursuit of Happyness: 8/10
         The Terminal: 7.3/10

Now tell me that’s not CRAZY! (Was my reaction at first.)
Nope, its not. Yes, maybe for me, but not for the millions who gave it all those 9s and 10s.

So, I want to tell you all that please don’t judge a movie only on the basis of its IMDb rating. Read a little about it, if its your type, give it a chance.

You will really find this useful and maybe, would find your next favourite movie!

If you want critically acclaimed movies, check out rotten tomatoes or Metacritic. They have genuine ratings of the critics on which really help.
I prefer Metacritic, I think they are genuine.
But again, no judgement solely base on this!

If you don’t judge the movies this way, great!


If you do, try what I told you.

 Trust me, I have had the experience, and if I had continued to judge movies as I used to, I would’ve missed some must watch masterpieces!

Thanks for your time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isn't this enough?